Thursday, March 10, 2011

DIY ~ Cupcake Wrappers

This weekend I am hosting a lingerie shower for a friend at our lake house and I am so excited for all the fun DIY details we are going to have!  More pictures and DIY posts to come after the party this weekend :)

Last night I started on one of the projects: these doily cupcake wrappers.


I got the idea from this post on CakeCentral.com and they were so simple to make!

What do you need?
-Doilies (I used 8 inch from Michaels)
 *I used white because I bought silver baking cups, but you could use any color combination!
-Scissors
-Tape (I used packing tape so it'd be more sturdy)
-Cupcake baking cup (for measuring)

How do you make it?
1.  Start by taking a paper cupcake baking cup and cut a slit down the side and then cut off the bottom.
2.  Place this deconstructed baking cup (which will look like a half circle) on top of the doily.
3.  Cut out the same shape along the edge of the doily as the cupcake baking cup. It will be about 1.5 - 2 inches in height.


4.  Once you have one doily half circle cut out, simply use this as a guide and you can cut multiple at a time.  I was able to get two out of each full doily.
5.  Once you have it all cut out, begin to piece the wrappers together.  Fold the doily cut-out so the two ends are slightly overlapping and fold a piece of tape over this edge.

And there you go, you have a simple yet elegant cupcake wrapper!


 These are a little fancier than mine, but hopefully they'll have the same effect!


And one final point: make sure to bake your cupcakes in standard baking cups and then place them in the doily cups after they are cooled.  I bought silver baking cups to add a little bit of color through the doilies. 

I'll be sure to post all the pics after the party!

4 comments:

  1. Yeah... kind of in love with those...

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh this is so simple and right up my alley! What a great little detail for a bridal shower - and very appropriate to have lacy cupcake wrappers with a lingerie party!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bought 100 8" at the dollar store. Going to give it a try for wedding cupcakes. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete