Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Remembering

So you all have probably noticed my lack of posts in the past couple of weeks (other than the already scheduled - way in advance - A Little Something weekly posts).  Well I have a couple reasons, the first being I was in Prague with a girlfriend for a little vacay.  Such a fun trip and cool city to explore - I highly recommend it.

A little iPhone photography of the St. George Cathedral  - it's amazing what that little camera can do

So while I had an amazing trip and vacation, the other reason for my absence is a little more important and a little harder to write about.  After an amazing battle with cancer over the past two years, my wonderful aunt passed away.  It's been a sad, emotional week with my family but we all rejoice knowing she's in a better place and no longer in pain.

"Unable are the loved to die. For love is immortality." ~Emily Dickinson

My Aunt with one of her sons and his wife.  Such an amazing person.

As hard as it is to lose someone you love so much and who has been such a huge part of your life, it's always helpful knowing they are in a better place.  The past week has been a lot of tears but also a lot of story telling and remembering.  It's amazing to realize how much one person has impacted the lives of others.  My aunt was such a giving person and constantly did anything and everything for everyone else - anything to put a smile on your face and make you happy. 

It's going to be hard not having her around or seeing her beautiful smiling face but I know she'll continue to provide for us and be her giving self as she smiles down on us.

In thinking of loved ones lost and knowing they can't physically be part of special moments in our life, I started thinking about ways to include them and remember them.  A friend of mine recently had a memory board or sorts at her wedding to recognize those who have passed.

Here are a few memory boards  I found during a quick search.

Honoring Relatives that Have Passed on at Your Wedding... :  wedding Grandparentsboard

Wedding Memory Board from the How to Make a Memory Board to Display Photos image gallery

Am a couple other ideas as well:

A candle holder to add to the centerpieces. {via}

Square Memory Bouquet Frame
A photo on your bouquet. {via}


I think remembering your loved ones, especially on a day as important and special as your wedding day, is important.  What do you guys think of these ideas?

7 comments:

  1. So sorry for your loss, my prayers and thoughts are with you! Such wonderful ideas for remembering loved ones on any special event! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, hugs. I'm sorry.
    I love incorporating passed loved ones' memories at weddings. It's very tasteful and nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear of such a loss in your family...take as much time as you need. Make sure you and your family are priority and you know we'll always be here. I love the sentiment of creating a little memory board or lighting a candle during your ceremony.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry for your loss! My best to you and your entire family. I really love the idea of a memory board at a wedding!

    I absolutely loved both my visits to Prague and hope to return again one day. I've never visited Amsterdam but have heard great things. I hope you'll share some of your travels here on the blog.

    Safe travels my friend.

    Best,

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the memory boards! A pretty way to show off your loved ones and precious memories. xo style, she wrote

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry for your loss, my dear. I think that remembering loved ones is very important, and I'm sure you'll find a beautiful way to do it.
    xo Josie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry for your loss. I lost my step father last December and I know exactly what you are going through. And while I cannot say the sence of loss gets any easier, time does dull it a bit. My thoughts are with you!

    ReplyDelete